Learning to use GIMP

My poor blog has been abandoned again!
I've spent some of my time learning to use GIMP , an Open Source program for image manipulation. I'm still far from mastering it as I find it rather complicate... for easy things such as resizing, cropping or adding notes on photos I still prefer Picnik , that is of immediate use and there's no need to install anything... But GIMP is more complete and advanced.
I've also tried my first attempt of vectorial graphics... I've taken a photo of my holidays last year; it's a detail from the floor in Battistero San Giovanni, Florence, which shows zodiac signs.
I had taken a picture of Scorpio as it's my daughter's sign...Actually the floor was quite worn, so the sign is not in great conditions...
But I liked its rather absurd look; apparently the maker had never seen a real scorpion as he represented it like a sort of lizard with almost invisible pinchers and a huge pincher on the tail...




After struggling a long time with GIM (and its layers, and anchor points that appeared and diappeared, reducing my pattern to a complete mess several times), this was the best I could obtain....

I can't really say I like it... But at least I'm  learning to use the tool. And probably the pattern won't be terrible if stitched in trapunto fiorentino...

Comments